Camp JCC Senior Counselor
TITLE: Senior Counselor
SUPERVISOR: Youth/Family Program Coordinator
Senior Counselors will contribute to the vision, mission and values of the Youngstown Area Jewish Federation by creating and maintaining a safe, fun environment for campers at Camp JCC with standards of excellence.
- Supervise groups of campers as the “lead” counselor along with Junior Counselors, acting as guardian, friend, disciplinarian, and counselor to all campers while demonstrating sensitivity to the needs of campers served
- Work closely with Unit Heads and Camp Leadership Team in assisting with daily camp operations as well as planning and implementation of activities
- Supervise and mentor Junior Counselors, observing each counselor as they work with their own group
- Serve as a role model for all campers while participating in all required activities (including daily swimming with campers) with an enthusiastic attitude
- Apply proper discipline in a caring manner, ensuring that campers learn the difference between correct and incorrect behavior, providing appropriate behavior management techniques and intervention where necessary
- Be familiar with and enforce the personnel policies, safety rules, and regulations of camp to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of all campers in any area or programs, referring problems to appropriate staff as needed
- Attend staff meetings every morning before camp begins
- Keep records as required, including documenting all incidents, injuries, and behavioral issues
- Be available to the Camp leadership team to fulfill any additional duties which need to be performed to facilitate the effective operation of the total camp program
Must be a high school graduate, preferably pursuing a degree in education. Must have the desire and attitude to work with children in a small group setting and prefer 2-3 years experience working with children. Counselor must have proven management, good communication and organizational skills, and the ability to be creative and take direction/instruction. Valid state ID is required. CPR and First Aid certifications preferred.