Camp JCC Unit Head
TITLE: Unit Head
SUPERVISOR: Youth/Family Program Coordinator
Camp JCC Unit Heads will contribute to the vision, mission and values of the Youngstown Area Jewish Federation by supervising Camp JCC campers and counselors and working with the leadership team to create and maintain a safe, fun environment for campers at Camp JCC with standards of excellence.
- Supervise an entire unit of camp (1st & 2nd grade, 3rd & 4th grade, 5th-8th grade, or Leaders-In-Training - 9th & 10th grade), acting as next level up in camper or staff issues that may arise
- Assist the Camp JCC leadership team in developing, leading, and planning camp activities, working with camp activity specialists, and conducting other daily operations
- Supervise and mentor Senior and Junior Counselors as they work with their groups
- Serve as a role model for all campers and staff while participating in all required activities with an enthusiastic attitude
- Apply proper discipline in a caring manner, ensuring that campers learn the difference between correct and incorrect behavior, providing appropriate behavior management techniques and intervention where necessary
- Be familiar with and enforce the personnel policies, safety rules, and regulations of camp to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of all campers in any area or programs, referring problems to appropriate staff as needed
- Attend daily leadership meetings before and after the camp day
- Keep records as required, including documenting all incidents, injuries, and behavioral issues.
- Be available to the Camp leadership team to fulfill any additional duties which need to be performed to facilitate the effective operation of the total camp program.
Must be a high school graduate, preferably pursuing a degree in education. Must have the desire and attitude to work with children in a small group setting and prefer 2-3 years experience working with children. Counselor must have proven management, good communication and organizational skills, and the ability to be creative and take direction/instruction. Valid state ID is required. CPR and First Aid certifications preferred.